Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Good Life (grow, cook and eat) Cyprus and the UK

I have just been updating the recipe pages on the website www.shopnorthcyprus.co.uk with a recipe for Pork or Chicken with Courgettes.

This gave me the idea that many of the ingredients could be grown in our gardens and so I have decided it would be fun to start a section with useful tips and methods of growing your own vegetables and herbs.

I intend to include recipes and suggestions for preserving and storing.

The times of sowing I can give are really suited to UK conditions, here in Cyprus they will have to change, for example runner beans, a friend of mine sows his in October. Another rule of thumb I have been given is to plant in Cyprus 3 months in advance of the UK

So calling all keen or experienced gardeners out there, if you have some useful advise on when best to sow or plant or indeed any other tips please let us have the details.

Where can you buy the best seed, onion sets, fertilizers and sow on?

Again a request to all cooks, do you have some recipes that would use home grown ingredients, if so please send them in.

As the recipe I posted was using courgettes I have started the section of with Marrows and Courgettes.

No comments: